A commercial invoice is one of the most important legal documents that is sent by the seller to the buyer as proof of a sale contract. Commercial invoice templates are used to place all the necessary information required by the seller, buyer, shipment company, and government authorities to complete an international delivery. Complete your delivery with correct commercial invoice templates, which are available in Word, Excel, and PDF format. It is mostly used for international shipping and used to clear your delivery from customs.
- Accounting Templates
- Art & Media
- Budget Templates
- Business Templates
- Calendar Templates
- Education Templates
- Inventory Templates
- Invoice Templates
- Letter Templates
- Medical Templates
- Personal Templates
- Project Plan Templates
- Timesheet Templates
The commercial invoice contains a complete description of the transaction of your goods to the buyer. A commercial invoice is completely different from a bill of lading and packing slip. These documents are essential in trading and used for various purposes. The commercial invoice serves as an essential document for import and export verification. Below we share a complete guide to the commercial invoice, which helps you to complete this process efficiently.
Download Free Commercial Invoice Templates
What is a Commercial Invoice Template?
A commercial invoice is a document used to provide a description of the package goods or products that are needed when you make international trading. It serves as proof of trading between seller and buyer from one country to another. The commercial invoice provides details about the weight of the items, quantity, volume of the item, and unit price along with shipping charger, and verification from the exporter. Verification from the exports with the signature on the commercial invoice makes it an authentic document. It also contains the terms and conditions under which the buyer and seller agree to make foreign transactions. This invoice is essential for both sellers and buyers; the buyer needs this document to release this package from customs and is also useful for insurance claims in case of broken or lost items.
The importer used this invoice document to send the amount of this package to the exporter. Make sure the invoice must be filling up in an accurate way that is understandable by the others. Sometimes, it is difficult to choose a commercial invoice template online because there is no fixed format for it. Based on things that are included in a template, you can select the best one. Below we share a list of invoice components that can help to choose a template that has all these components. An invoice is just a white paper if it does not contain all the essential information which is required in international trading. A Commercial invoice form is used to place all vital information about a package delivered from one country to another. These templates are available in Word, Excel, and PDF, you can download them in your favorite format.
Types Of Invoices:
In the marketing industry, various invoices are used for different purposes. There are specific purposes for each invoice used in a particular situation. You must understand these invoices before using them. Some basic types of invoices are as follows, which might you send to your customer.
Usually, invoices are used to ask customers to send payments against an order, but the proforma invoice is not used to demand payment. The primary purpose of a proforma invoice is to tell the customer how much you’ll for the goods or products that you order. It is also useful to show the value of the items, cost per unit with quality. It is excellent to use a proforma invoice template to craft it in a better way.
Past due invoice
Past due invoice is sent to the customer in case the due date of payment sending is passed. It is just like a reminder for the customer to send the payment for the order that you place. This type of invoice is sent right after the final invoice when the date to send the payment is passed. You can see different past-due invoices which are used for different situations. Some people also include the interest or ask to send extra fees for late payment in the past due invoice document.
To complete a big order seller(exporter) always needs some extra resources. For that purpose, the interim invoice is used to break down the payments of big orders into small amounts. It is one of the most useful documents that a seller uses to increase the resources to complete the order of a customer. The seller requests to send multiple payments from time to time instead of sending one at the end of the project. An interim invoice is the best way to manage your costs. For that purpose, you need a well-designed interim invoice that defines multiple payments with dates in a professional way.
The final invoice is sent to the customer when the project is completed. It is used to demand payments from buyers. It contains all the descriptions of the order in which the weight of the goods, quality, list of the items, due date, payment terms, the price per item, and basis of methodology you used to complete this order. Final invoices are used when you send deliveries within the state. In the case of international trading, it is called a commercial invoice. Download free final invoice templates in different formats that you prefer.
Our bills for gas, electricity, water, internet and telephone are utility invoices. It is commonly known as a bill, but in terms of business and marketing, they are utility invoices. It contains the amount of payment, due date, method of payment, and extra fees in case of late payment from the due date.
Content Of Commercial Invoice
For international trading, the commercial invoice must have all the necessary information that is essential for the buyer and seller. There is no fixed format for this invoice, but you can choose from dozens of commercial invoice templates based on content. The content of the commercial invoice gives a detailed description of the transaction. Below we share a list of essential components of the commercial invoice that must be included:
- Title of the document: First of all invoice must have a title header as “commercial invoice” at the top of the document.
- Shipper’s name: Shipper or exporter is the person or company who completes the order and sends the delivery package. The name of the shipper indicates the sender of this package.
- Shipper’s address: The address of the seller should be written. It must be the company address, not the residential one.
- Country name: Name of the country from which this package is delivered.
- Shipper’s phone number: In case of any legal issue, there must be the shipper the personal or professional phone number placed on it.
- Importer’s name: The importer is the person who places an order of the goods or products—the name of the person who receives this package.
- Importer’s address: The name of the country and city where this package will be delivered.
- Importer’s contact information: It is essential to have an importer’s contact detail on the invoice in case of any issue.
- Commercial invoice reference number: When you deal with many invoices, the reference number is placed to identify each invoice uniquely.
- The date: Date to send the delivery package to the customer.
- Order number: It is filled by the exporter to identify each order with the order number.
- Notify person or company: The name of the person or company to notify that the package is received with their contact details.
- Shipping company: Name of the company to forward this delivery.
- Description of the goods: A detailed and precise description of the goods or products in the package.
- A number of items: A digit that shows the number of products or items in a package.
- A number of packages: Number of packages in this shipment.
- Terms and conditions of delivery: Terms under which this delivery is made.
- Per item price: It defines the price of each item in this package.
- The total price of this package: It states the value of this shipment.
- Total weight: Shipping companies charge on the basis of the delivery package weight.
- Payment terms: The importer or buyer send payment by following the terms defined by the exporter.
- Payment method: Which method the buyer uses to send the payment?
- Currency details: The currency in which the payment of this package is made.
- Exporter’s signature: The signature at the end of this invoice document makes it an authentic document.
- Other relevant information is required from customs or any other government authorities.
It is standard to use all these things in the commercial invoice, but some people want to do things in a simple way. You can find here a simple commercial invoice template that is used to provide only essential information.
Purposes of commercial invoice
A commercial invoice is used when you send or receive any package from one country to another. These invoices are used to export goods and shipments. Below we share the essential purpose of this commercial invoice:
- This type of invoice is used to provide a detailed description of the delivery package.
- Importers use it to release the package from customs.
- The buyer used this document to send payment to the seller.
- In case of any lost or stolen items, it is used to claim for it from the shipping agency or seller.
- They are also used by the government authorities to charge this package according to its value and weight described in this invoice.
- Organize all of your orders with an order number placed on the invoice.
How To Make A Commercial Invoice
We share a complete guide about the commercial invoice, which helps you to fill out this invoice in an efficient way. You can see a commercial sale invoice sample and templates to understand more about it. Follow a few simple and easy steps to make it:
- Browse our collection to download blank commercial invoice templates in different formats that you prefer.
- There is no fixed format for the commercial invoice. You can choose any which is perfect for you.
- Make a list of all the items in your delivery package.
- Write the invoice number and date to issue this invoice.
- Write the shipper’s details in which the name, phone number, and address are included.
- Write the importer’s details like name, phone number, and address.
- Fill out all the important information about the shipment.
- It is easy to customize the template according to your needs.
- Add all the payment details like method, terms, bank detail of the exporter, and currency in which the products are sold.
- Signature at the end of this invoice with the name and position.
By following these steps, you can fill out an informative invoice efficiently.
Advantages of commercial invoice
It is impossible to send or receive any package from a foreign country. There are lots of benefits to using this invoice. Some advantages are as follows:
- Best way to build up your company and brand
- Ask the buyer about the payment in an efficient way
- Help to organize the record of your order
- Only document to release the package from customs
- Help to improve your cash flow.