In the respect of violation of the company’s rules and regulations by the employee, a disciplinary action form is sent to inform the employee about their misconduct at work. Here is a collection of disciplinary action form templates that will help you write disciplinary action forms in a more professional manner. The disciplinary action form is used to alert the employee that he/she violates the rules of the organization specified by the employer. It is best practice to communicate with the employee by using this form to inform the employee what action would be taken after the violation of the company’s policy.
- Accounting Templates
- Art & Media
- Budget Templates
- Business Templates
- Calendar Templates
- Education Templates
- Inventory Templates
- Invoice Templates
- Letter Templates
- Medical Templates
- Personal Templates
- Project Plan Templates
- Timesheet Templates
Download Free Disciplinary Action Form Templates
A disciplinary action form template is needed in schools, colleges, and companies to run the organization under specified rules and regulations. You can download these printable disciplinary action forms free in Word, PDF, and other formats that are perfect for you. It is an opportunity for the employee to improve performance and conduct all activities according to the company’s rules and regulations. Below we share some essential points about disciplinary action that helps you to understand it more efficiently.
What is a disciplinary action form?
In any organization, discipline is the key to success to achieve the desired goals and objectives. When a member of an organization violates the company’s rules, then action would be taken to correct the wrong things, which is called disciplinary action.
In that case, you can also use the employee warning notice letter to warn the employee that he/she violates the company’s rules and regulations. A disciplinary action form is issued to the employee who violates the company’s standards. It contains the necessary information about the employee such as name, department, position, and details about the violation and action to be taken to violate the company’s policy. It is an opportunity for the employee to make changes according to the specified rule of the company. The primary purpose of this form is to inform the employee that the performance or behavior will not be tolerated in this company. It can be issued due to misbehaving with co-workers, excessive absenteeism, poor performance, misuse of the company’s official emails, theft in the organization, and so on. The authorities should conduct a disciplinary meeting to inform the employee about violations he/she did with solid proof. You can make your work easier by downloading free employee disciplinary action forms in Word and PDF formats which are used to handle disciplinary action easily. It is a useful tool to run an organization according to the rules efficiently. This form of action is issued when the verbal warning from the manager does not make any positive changes in the employee’s behavior. In our collection, you can get the disciplinary action form for students, colleges, hospitals, teachers, and others to implement the disciplinary policy in the organization effectively.
What should include in the disciplinary action form?
A disciplinary action form is an effective tool to inform the employee about the violation he conducts and the action that has been taken by the authorities. You need to download a competent write-up form for employees’ disciplinary to run your organization as the disciplinary policy. The form should contain all the essential elements to get the desired results. The basic elements that should be included in it are as follows:
- The employee’s information such as first name, last name, and job title.
- The form write-up date.
- The details of the violation for which this warning letter has been issued. (date, time, and place).
- The type of violation is conducted by the employee.
- Details about proof with witness’s statement which prove the employee guilty.
- State how many times the employee violates the company’s rules.
- Clearly state the action that has been taken due to the violation of the company’s policy.
- Clearly state what the company expects from you and suggestions to make positive changes in your behavior or performance.
- Statement of employee about this event.
- Statement of the person who sent this form.
- Signature of both sender and receiver.
The elements described above are essential and must be included in the disciplinary action form. You can add more elements that you consider important to include in it to make it a detailed document.
Steps to take in disciplinary procedure
The activity of each employee in the company should be in accordance with the company’s policy. It is essential for both the employee and employers to do everything under the laws. If an employee does not follow the company’s rules, then action should be taken to fix the problem. The disciplinary procedure is a way to handle the employee’s unprofessional behavior efficiently. Below we share some steps that you should take to manage it successfully.
- Get the preliminary facts: The first important step in the disciplinary procedure is to get the initial facts about the violation of rules. If the case is minor, then warn the employees verbally and then track the changes. Get to know about the violation by gathering the facts from different resources.
- Investigate properly: When you know that an employee conducts a violation, then you should gather proof of this violation to make some decision. Based on the investigation, disciplinary action will be made. If an employee misbehaves with co-workers, then call different employees as witnesses to get the proof and collect the documents to get evidence if the employee gives poor performance, unauthorized absence, misuse of resources, and so on.
- Conduct a disciplinary meeting: When the employee’s misconduct proof, then it’s time to invite the employee to the disciplinary meeting. Keep this meeting secret from other employees. State clearly what he/she did and what action will be taken against it. Give all the documented proof and statements of witnesses that prove the employee guilty.
- Decide the action to take: The employer specifies the rules and regulations of a company with the detail of action to take in case of violation. Study the employee’s case, figure out all the facts, and then decide the action to take. It would be best if you take suggestions from your team to make a better decision. The action can be a demotion, suspension, or deduction from salary.
- Inform employee about action: Inform the employee about the action by issuing a disciplinary action notice. It contains essential information about the violation and the decision that has been taken due to this violation.
- Appeals: After receiving the disciplinary action notice from the manager or HR department, the employee has the right to appeal against this action. The appeal should be heard by the person who is senior to the person who made this decision.
When we need the Disciplinary Action Form
If you want to run your organization in accordance with the specified rules, regulations, and procedures, then you should take disciplinary action in violation of these rules. All the rules, procedures, regulations, and guidelines should be placed in the organization’s handbook. The disciplinary action form example helps you to understand it and create it according to the standard. The valid reasons to write up an employee disciplinary action form are as follows:
- Poor performance: Employees are the assets of an organization to achieve the desired goals and objectives. When there is a gap between the employee’s performance and the required standard, then a disciplinary action form is needed to inform the employee about it to correct this thing.
- Violation of company’s rules: A company’s rules guide the employees about employment expectations. If an employee does not meet the company’s employment standard, then disciplinary action must be taken to make changes.
- Excessive absenteeism: Employee attendance plays a vital role in the development of an organization. If the employee violates the attendance policy consistently, then action needs to be taken by the employer. Get the disciplinary action form with a checklist in PDF to create it effectively. You can manage the attendance of each employee effectively with employee attendance tracker templates.
- Poor timekeeping: Being punctual helps you to achieve all the desired goals timely. You can complete your assignment or task on time which shows you are a professional. When an employee violates the company’s timing policy consistently, then disciplinary action is taken by the employer.
- Misbehaving with co-workers: A good relationship between employees builds a positive environment at the workplace. It should be part of the company’s rules to maintain a healthy relationship between employees. If someone violates the laws and misbehaves with their co-workers, then the employer or manager should take some action to right this.
Benefits of Progressive Discipline
Sometimes disciplinary action is challenging for both the employee and employers. It is the best way to improve an employee’s behavior and performance. It provides lots of benefits to running the organization smoothly. You can get the progressive disciplinary form template to handle this situation efficiently. Some significant benefits of the disciplinary policy are as follows:
- Improve performance: The disciplinary form is a way to allow the employee to improve the behavior and performance as expected by the employer. It helps to get the work from employees as the employment standard to achieve the objectives of this business. Sometimes, employees have no idea that they break the rules or provide poor performance, so this letter helps to fix the problem.
- Increase business efficiency: You can increase the efficiency of your business to establish a set of rules and regulations and work according to these rules with the help of disciplinary policy. When all the activities in your organization are performed according to the specified policy, you can protect your company from legal issues. The company can issue a disciplinary action form to the employee who violates the rules to run the company according to the rules that help to increase its efficiency.
- Fair decision: The disciplinary procedure eliminates the unfairness factor from the office because the notice of disciplinary action form contains all the proofs and witness statements that prove that the decision is right.
- Documentation: The disciplinary form must be placed in the file of an employee profile. This document can be used in the future to prove that the employer gives an opportunity to the employee to fix the problem.
Different types of disciplinary action
The company doesn’t want to fire their trained employees, they provide chances again and again to improve performance. Different types of disciplinary action are as follows:
- Verbal warning: It is an informal warning where the employer or manager warns the employee verbally that the behavior or performance of the employee is not acceptable. It is a private conversation with the employee that should be documented for further use.
- Formal written warning: When the verbal warning does not make positive changes in the employee’s behavior then a formal written warning is sent to the employee. It contains the details about the violation and corrective action. A disciplinary meeting is conducted by the employer or manager before sending this warning letter to inform the employee what he did and what type of action the company can take against him.
- Suspension: Suspension action is taken when the company needs to investigate before taking any action. It is the final warning where an employee may lose the job, be suspended from some duties, and demotion. If there are no positive changes in the performance or behavior of the employee then the next step the company takes is termination.
- Termination: Company gives their employees chances to improve their performance. When an employee continuously violates the company’s rules and regulations and there is no improvement in the performance and behavior of the employee after giving the verbal warning, formal written warning, and suspension action then termination is the fair decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the valid reasons to write up an employee?
The valid reason to write up an employee are: Poor performance Tardiness Excessive absenteeism Violation of company’s rules Unacceptable behaviour
What is the purpose of a disciplinary action form?
The primary purpose of a disciplinary action form is a way to deal with the employee who violates the company’s rules to improve the behaviour or performance in a specific time.
Do verbal warnings go on record?
The verbal warning documented in the manager’s informal notes with employee signature, which can be used to prove the company’s effort for employee improvement.
Difference between the verbal and written warning?
A verbal warning is the first step in a progressive discipline where the employer or manager informs the employee about misbehaving and allows corrective action. In contrast, the written warning is an official notice that the employee violates the company’s rules with violation details and period to fix the problem.
Components of disciplinary action form?
It includes the details of violation, necessary information about the employee, comment of employee and employer, signature of the employee and detail of action to be taken.
Difference between suspension and termination?
Suspension and termination are the disciplinary actions that can be taken by the employer. The suspension means to lose some and all the duties temporarily, whereas termination means the end of the employee’s work permanently.