Table of Contents
- 1 What Is The Standard Operating Procedure(SOP)?
- 2 Characteristics Of SOP
- 3 Key Components Of SOP
- 4 Essential Steps To Write A Standard Operating Procedure(SOP)
- 5 Tips For Writing An Effective SOP
- 6 Different SOP Templates
- 7 Benefits Of Implementing SOP
Download the best standard operating procedure (SOP) templates and examples in PDF and document format. These free sample SOP templates are easy to use. The standard operating procedure (SOP) template is an effective tool that is used to write the set of steps that must be followed by the employees to capture the best routine activity of an organization. These free standard operating procedure (SOP) templates are designed in Microsoft Word and available in PDF and Google docs. It is the best way to maintain the consistency of an organization and provide a structured approach to accomplish a task or activity in a specific format. Especially in the current situation when there is Pandemic this world is facing, and Coronavirus (Covid-19) has spread all over, the whole world is working on different SOPs to tackle this spread. Below we share a set of SOP guidelines and formats that helps you to understand more about it.
- Accounting Templates
- Art & Media
- Budget Templates
- Business Templates
- Calendar Templates
- Education Templates
- Inventory Templates
- Letter Templates
- Medical Templates
- Personal Templates
- Project Plan Templates
- Timesheet Templates
Download Free Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Templates
What Is The Standard Operating Procedure(SOP)?
Every employer wants to set their business to a new level. For that purpose, there should be a set of steps that must be followed to perform the routine activity of an organization. The standard operating procedure is a set of instructions that helps the employees to perform daily tasks easily and efficiently. These instructions or outlines of the steps are issued by employers or other authorities. If you don’t know about the standard of operating(SOP), then you must see the example of SOP that helps you to understand it more clearly. Employers must set a path or provide a structure to accomplish daily, simple, complex, or every type of task to increase the consistency of their business. To save your work and perform your daily activity efficiently, then download free SOP templates in Word, PDF, and other formats that work for you. It is used in:
- Pharmaceutical industry
- Legal and finance departments
- Employees training
- Food and drug administration
Generally, there are two parts to the SOP, in one part there is information about the organization, logo, and the description to control this document while in the second part; there is detailed instruction about what to do, how to do it, the scope of the document, purpose of this document and policies or regulations. Standard of procedure (SOP) documents are designed to:
- When the new task or process is to create
- For high-risk tasks
- Tasks that are repeated daily
- Maintain the consistency of the organization
- To maintain a healthy relationship between partners
- To prevent failure
- To create a healthy and safe environment
Sometimes companies don’t take the SOP seriously as the result they face poor quality and inefficiency in the work that may take their business down. It is a best practice to design and follow the SOP to improve the efficiency and quality of your work.
Characteristics Of SOP
An employer who wants discipline, consistency, and efficiency in their work, then they must apply some set of steps for the employees to understand what to do and how to do it. SOP is required in laboratories, employee training, agencies, warehouses, IT departments, human resources(HR), and so on. Some main characteristics of the SOP are as follows:
- The SOP should be in written form
- Follow some appropriate structure of a template
- Use numbered and bullet points to make it readable
- Must contain the information on document control
- Steps that must be followed to accomplish a task
- Purposes of the SOP
- Used it for highly repetitive activities
- Reviewed regularly
- Dates to update it
Your SOP must include all the above factors to create an effective one that helps your worker to communicate with you and the daily work easily and efficiently. Download blank and simple SOP templates to get the significant benefits of SOP and structure it in an appropriate format template.
Key Components Of SOP
Things that must be included in your SOP to improve the quality of your work. Seven essential components of SOP must be included in every SOP. These components are as follows:
- Title of the documents: it is necessary to place the title of the documents to show what the document is about, if you design an SOP for the laboratory, then place the title as “Standard operating procedure for laboratory process.”
- Department name: Name of the department for which that SOP is designed.
- Department ID: After the name, write the department of the ID.
- Head of the department signature: To make this document official, the department head signs off to approve this document of the procedure.
- Purpose of this document: State the purpose of this document in 2,3 lines so that the worker quickly understands the purpose of this document.
- Clarify jargon and terms: Define all the jargon and terms that are used in this procedure.
- State the procedure: The step-by-step instruction to define the procedure that should be followed by the employees to accomplish tasks.
Essential Steps To Write A Standard Operating Procedure(SOP)
Below we share some essential steps to write an effective standard operating procedure(SOP).
- Determine the goal of this procedure:
First of all, decide what you want at the end of this procedure. It is necessary to keep in mind what you must have when the task is accomplished. Most organizations or companies create SOP, but they don’t accomplish what they actually want because the goal of this procedure is not determined correctly.
- Scope of the procedure: Prepare the scope of the procedure which means which team or department will accomplish this task and state from which steps your procedure will start and where this will end.
- Discuss the procedure with stakeholders: To get better output from any procedure, it is vital to discuss the procedure with all the people involved to complete this process. The final decision is all the employer, but it is good practice to discuss this procedure with the stakeholder. Ask your team what the company should do, which strategy will be used, and how this task will be accomplished.
- Determine the structure of the SOP: There are different ways in which the employer or supervisor can take the SOP. Make sure to select an appropriate structure of the SOP that is easily understood by every person. The structure of the SOP document may be a simple few steps or a hierarchical structure. You can easily download the SOP manual templates that help you to determine the structure of the standard operating procedure efficiently.
- Identify your problem and solution: Identify what you want to achieve and how you will do that. Half solutions to your problem are found when you identify the problem or goal efficiently.
- Write the SOP: Now, the actual work is to write the Standard operating procedure(SOP).
- Create the title of the document
- Write the name of the department with an ID that the SOP applies
- The Date when the document is published
- Department head’s name with the signature who approves this document
- State the purpose of the document
- Write the detailed instructions that the employees follow to complete a task or achieve a goal.
- Flowchart: Create the flowchart diagram of your procedure to visually represent the steps of this procedure and understand the phases. Visual aid is the best way to understand the overview of this process.
- Finalize and implement: Finalize your document by discussing it with the supervisor and all the stakeholders of this procedure then implement this process.
Tips For Writing An Effective SOP
If you want to create an effective SOP document to determine the steps of the daily routine of an organization, then follow the following steps to create the best one:
- Before writing the SOP, identify the problems efficiently.
- Discuss the problem with all stakeholders for suggestions.
- Use high-quality paper for printing.
- Follow some appropriate structure to format the SOP.
- Use an appropriate font and size that must be understandable by every person.
- Test, edit, and repeat the SOP before the implementation.
- Should be written in a clear, concise manner.
- The head must approve the SOP of the department.
- Use a flow diagram to represent every step of its input and output visually.
- You can use the standard operating procedure checklist templates to ensure that the steps mentioned in the SOP are followed in order.
- Use heading, bullet points, and numbers to increase the readability of the document.
Different SOP Templates
Standard operating procedure templates are used in different fields, and each department or organization needs to achieve the desired goals. Crafting an SOP document is the best way to provide an approach that must be followed by the employees to accomplish repetitive tasks. It is used in different fields, some of these are as follows:
SOP template for laboratory
The standard operating procedure is crucial for the laboratory to perform some research procedures. Before any research, they draft a document that contains how this procedure will perform. You can find here a collection of the best SOP templates for laboratories to improve the efficiency of your work.
SOP template for company
For every organization or company, it is vital to decide what the employees will do and how they achieve the desired goals. For that purpose, they need a set of steps in which the details should be mentioned to follow the right approach. We share a list of the best SOP templates of the company, which can be used to struct the SOP in the right format.
Payroll standard operating procedure template
Payroll is a process of managing the employees’ payments to a company. The supervisor or employer issues a set of steps to complete this process. To make your work easier, we share a collection of printable and editable standard operating procedure (SOP) templates available in Word, PDF, and other formats that work for you.
Sanitation standard operating procedure template
You can find here sanitation SOP templates to set the procedure of cleaning in organizations, restaurants, banks, schools or colleges, and so on. With the help of these templates, you can define what should be clean, how, and when—download free sanitation standard operating procedure templates in Word and PDF.
Benefits Of Implementing SOP
There are significant benefits to implementing SOP. Some of these are as follows:
- Help to improve the efficiency of your work
- Provide a better approach to achieving your goals easily
- Help to improve your productivity
- Build a great relationship between employees
- Maintain the consistency of the organization